Tuesday, September 28, 2010

reflection___uoıʇɔǝןɟǝɹ

It is now officially fall! I don't know if I had enough time to say "so long" to the sweet summer...all the soft sand, olive shoulders, warm nights, time. ha. But, do what we do best and keep rollin' with the times. I guess school has given plenty of opportunities to keep busy :) especially being one month into school already. Midterm season!

The truth is, in this month, I have learned so many things! It definitely is worth all the blood, sweat, and mostly tears :) Here is a simple post about things I learned from my incredible civilization class.

CONSUME: How one effectively manages new information and information sources. This includes the development of habits and abilities to use tools to help one's digital consumption to be more efficient and meaningful. 

In preparation for class, I begin by reading the blog posts by Dr. Zappala and Dr. Burton. The two professors daily post intriguing topics that range from data analysis to digital literacy to insights of the renaissance. Reading this blog post leaves me with a direction of study and a base to build upon. These posts illustrate blog post etiquette, taking advantage of the "jump break" option, descriptive figures, and thoughtful comments. Some of my favorite posts end in questions, which help the reader (myself) ponder on the information that has just been presented. Reading these blogs inspires me to take good points and build off of them. 

After reading the blogs and the introduction to the class lecture, I read the required material. Thinking about the content in the new material gives me great insight into the period of the renaissance. It is especially exciting when I see the effects of the renaissance period in modern times, or when I see the similarities and patterns of developing ideas. For example, comparing the printing press of Martin Luther to the Internet of today. How publication of materials changes society.

Once my reading of the professors's blog and the required reading is done, I turn to consume the thoughts of my piers. Reading incredible posts by Sarah Wills, Jeffrey Whitlock, and other inspiring writers, expands my thinking to wider and higher horizons. The thoughts of my piers feeds my thoughts and inspires my next research topic. I keep a notepad by my side and jot down brilliant ideas, like Jeffrey's question of how great an effect will digital revolution have on industries and trades.

The digital literacy labs are very helpful, as they teach me skills I never learned before. These tools help me greatly in research and in teaching. With so many tools provided to us, we have unlimited potential. Diigo has been an awesome tool, and I use it as I prepare biochemistry papers. 

As as student, my time is limited and must be balanced between classroom time, homework, dating, sports, music, and other activities. Learning how to CONSUME effectively, and not spend too much time just on one activity, has been very helpful. I am so grateful for the class and the professors who teach us this necessary skill.

CREATE: The making and posting of content that is reflective of you. The making of content that contributes to various communities and adds creative thinking to the world. There are various types of creation, including using online tools to create visual or audio aids of learning and expressing ideas. It also means creating value for the web by rating others and curating one's own.

In order to learn how to create, I write a blog, at least twice per week. The blogs are my interpretation of lecture topics and the compilation of the thoughts I gain from professors, classmates, and outside sources. I am always surprised at the length of time required to write a blog. During my blog-writing time, I ponder and collect my thoughts. I then outline them and begin to write. Usually, I try adding some value to the web by adding perspectives from my major, which is Biochemistry. As I incorporate ideas together and put them on the blog, I form more questions and try to make sense of them. Often, I will incorporate ideas from other blog posters and sources.

Digitally, I have used the screen-snap shot and other digital mastery skills to create a blog. I now know how to put a html code into my blog to let a youtube video show up. I also know how to blog, which is something new to me. These skills help me create a blog that is more readable and interesting.

CONNECT: To share what you consume or create with others, either in person or online. Collaborate on projects, share thoughts, and use media.

Publicly sharing my blog is a form of connection to piers in the online world. As I share my thoughts and receive feedback from my piers, I learn more and that inspires me to reply to their blog posts. I learn of bugs in my thinking process, which does not offend me at all. I can take these different views to strengthen my own or change my views. I love connecting with my audience as they are so supportive and insightful.

Following other classmate's blogs has also expanded my horizon of friendship, common interests, and great discussion. Leaving comments on other people's blogs helps me think about their views, which enriches my own life and thinking.

Following blogs outside of the classroom, running a twitter account, playing around on facebook, and keeping in touch with teachers or friends through gmail allows me to continue exploring new horizons in different aspects of life. 

I love the chance to expand my horizons through Consuming, Creating, and Connecting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment