Thursday, September 16, 2010

What's more important to you?

"There is no other way of guarding oneself against flattery than by letting men understand that they will not offend you by speaking the truth; but when everyone can tell you the truth, you lose their respect."

       -Niccolo Machiavelli

    Michiavelli was a great contributer to political theory, history, and principles of welfare and diplomacy. We are all so grateful for his work! 
    In the quote above, Machiavelli states that it is hard to have respect when people tell you the truth. I can see where this is true. It is hard to correct or give suggestions to a person or authority or a person in a respected position. It is much easier to give correction or suggestions to peers and friends. This all depends on how respect is defined. If I feel great admiration for someone, I am less likely to want to offend them. I believe that they are correct in their methodology. 
    However, gaining respect from others requires a bit more than a simple song, dance, magic. It is much deeper and fulfilling than that. When I think about those I respect, I think about those who are honest. They are honest with themselves, and they are honest with others, their clients, employees, students, family, friends. They are willing to address issues, even when the issue is about themselves. They are constantly looking to improve, and who better to receive suggestions from than fellow employees, people you serve, and supervisors. 
    Just take a look at BYU! At the end of every semester, the students are given an opportunity to evaluate the professors who instructed the class. These evaluations remain anonymous, so the students can freely and truthfully express their feelings. This says a lot about the professors, who are willing to consider these suggestions, hear the truth, and change. 
    It is always very humbling for me when corrected. However, I grow the most when I hear the truth. I guess it depends on what one thinks is more important. To be distant and respected, or to be close and ready to hear honest suggestions. I think that I respect those who are looking for improvement. 

    No comments:

    Post a Comment